Monday, October 22, 2012

Cooking in Math

Create muffins with your class to work on measurement, doubling and halving.Recently, my class was working on measurement.  One of the things we had to work on was doubling and halving measurements – especially in regards to grams and recipes.  My students were to take a recipe and figure out how much of each ingredient was needed to make a double batch and half a batch.  So, of course this was a great time for cooking in the classroom!  There is so much vocabulary, reading, science, math, and real-life skills that can be worked into a single cooking activity.  I love to cook with my students.  Luckily, the school that I teach at – International School of Morocco – has a lot of resources on hand for projects like this. Grab a free printable sheet of the recipe we used, which is ready for students to write their doubled and halved amounts directly on, as well as more details about this project at my blog – Raki’s Rad Resources.

 Heidi Raki of Raki's Rad Resources

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin It button on image hover