Sunday, October 28, 2012

Age Limit on Dramatic Play?

As the majority of my teaching experience has been in intermediate grades, specifically 3rd grade, I’ve never used a lot of dramatic play in my lessons.  In Using Dramatic Play in Intermediate Grades can increase understanding and student motivation. - Raki's Rad Resourcesintermediate, we have a tendency to focus on learning, learning, learning, with no time for play, and if we do play, it’s a game or a puzzle.  We definitely don’t take the time for dramatic play.  However, this year I am trying to change that some.  I have a third grader at home and he still spend about half of his playtime in dramatic play.  On the playground, I have watched my students (3rd and 4th graders) play out slumber parties, knights and princesses and a variety of other “dramatic play” situations.  So, I’ve decided to try to use dramatic play anywhere appropriate in my classroom.  Stop by my blog – Raki’s Rad Resources – and see some of the ways we are using dramatic play to increase student engagement and student understanding.

Do you have a great way to integrate dramatic play into an intermediate classroom?  Please come and join our discussion at Raki’s Rad Resources.

 Heidi Raki of Raki's Rad Resources

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin It button on image hover